Get your car road-trip ready
Follow this pre-trip auto checkup guide and packing list, and your road trip should be a smooth ride.
Before you go:
· Get a full safety inspection from a certified mechanic at least a week before your trip to give the repair shop enough time to take care of any issues.
· Make sure the mechanic checks everything from your car’s fluid levels, belts and hoses to lights, tires and brakes.
· Keep in mind that small maintenance and repairs now often prevent costly expenses down the road.
· Don’t wait till the last minute for a safety diagnosis. If the mechanic uncovers any big problems when you’re only hours away from taking off, it could throw a wrench into your plans … or your budget, should you decide to rent a road trip-ready car instead.
· Some safety inspections are free, but some mechanics may charge you a full hour of labor. Regardless of the cost, it’s money well spent.
· Remember the simple do-it-yourself auto maintenance procedures, such as tightening the gas cap to prevent gas from evaporating as you drive. Loose, missing or damaged gas caps cause 147 million gallons of gas to evaporate each year.
Be sure to bring:
· A copy of your car’s warranty
· Contact information for your emergency car care service
· Cell phone
· First-aid kit
· Inflated spare tire
· Jumper cables
· Blankets and gloves
· Bottled water
Have you ever had any road-trip car troubles?