Posts tagged with ‘frugal food bill’
Thrifty tips for food shopping
1. Do the math: Don’t be afraid to pull out your phone calculator to make sure you really are getting the best deal. If there are two items that have different prices and different quantities, divide the price by the number of ounces in each to see which has the better per-unit price.
2. “Where’s the beef” savings?: Look for meats that you can take to the deli counter and have sliced in the exact amount you want. These “chubs” can save you over 50 percent of the usual cost of meats.
3. Produce savings in the bag: Try buying produce in bulk. Packaged produce is priced by the unit and not by the pounds, as with loose produce.
4. Credit card rewards add up to real cash: Take advantage of when credit card companies give cash-back percentages on food purchases. Some cards offer up to 5 percent cash back on purchases.
5. Other ways to save: Many e-coupons can be scanned at the register from your phone. Check your receipt for coupons for your next visit. Check websites for deals before you leave home.